Today we find two types of medicines: the complementary medicine and the allopathic medicine where neither one can nor intends to displace the other; but on the contrary, they complement each other, exclusively for the benefit of what matters, that is to help human beings stop suffering.
We must use every tool at our hands to aid the sick, for it is clear that not everything can be solved with a scalpel or pills.
Both types of medicines need not to be at odds on the contrary; they complement effectively and are a coin toss. Anything that benefits the patients and relieve their ailments is welcome!
Acupuncture is an effective therapeutic technique without adverse effects, if it is practiced by expert hands. Acupuncture therapy is now recognized in many countries as an important therapeutic method without medication. This is especially relevant for elderly patients or for people who are allergic to medications
Acupuncture has more than 3,000,000 acupuncturists worldwide. In many countries it is considered a medical specialty within the social security.
Acupuncture has a long history, far from avoiding their encounter with Western Medicine, it has been able to assimilate and integrate modern methods and technologies offered.
What moxibustion is?
Moxibustion is the process of heating acupunctural points with cones or cigarettes, made of dry leaves of Artemisa Vulgaris.
Moxibustion is used in acute or chronic diseases, preventive and also used as a complement to needle therapy. The thermal stimulus goes from a smooth to a strong cauterization.
Needles can also be stimulated with low voltage current (electro acupuncture). Another form of stimulation is laser-acupuncture and the simple digitpuncture (pressure and massage of the points), very popular in children.
What phytotherapy is?
It is the science that cures with medicinal plants which is complemented with acupuncture. It is the Chinese pharmacology based on the plants.
What acupuncture can treat?
In the Western world, acupuncture is believed to be useful only to treat pain. In effect, acupuncture is extremely effective in those cases and conditions where the endorphins are involved. This procedure elevates the levels of endorphins and reflects positively in the serotonine because it is very effective to the various forms of pain such as: migraines, postoperative pain, arthrosis, stress, etc.
With the same effectiveness, acupuncture also deals with great variety diseases, such as asthma, insomnia, enuresis, arterial hypertension, bronchitis, diarrheas, colon problems, mental fatigue, chemotherapy, menstrual disorders, menopause, pregnancy handling, etc.
Aside from treating a symptom, acupuncture deals with the patient in an integral form, recovering the balance between its physical, emotional and spiritual state. People do acupuncture and phytotherapy (therapy with medicinal plants) as a form of prevention or when they are uncomfortable with any situation without being really sick
The WHO and acupuncture
Now days, acupuncture can be used to treat more than 300 diseases, being very effective at more than 60. In December of 1979, the World Health Organization (WHO) suggested that around 43 diseases could be dealt with acupuncture.
These diseases are:
• Respiratory apparatus: Acute Sinusitis, common flu, acute bronchitis, and asthma.
• Ophthalmologic diseases: Acute Conjunctivitis, children myopia and cataracts.
• Oral diseases: Teeth pain, dental post extraction and gingivitis.
• Stomach and intestinal diseases: Acute-chronic gastritis, chronic duodenal ulcer, acute and chronic colitis, constipation and diarrheas.
• Diseases of the nervous system: Headache, migraine, neuralgia, vertigo, stress, face paralysis (if it has not passed more than 3-6 months of the incident), incomplete paraplegia after hemorrhage by peripheral-neural disease, sequels of poliomyelitis (in cases of not more than 6 months of duration) and syndrome of Menier, gallbladder disorders, nocturia, cervico-brachial neuralgia, sore shoulder, epicondylitis (tennis elbow), sciatica, lumbago, arthritis, back pain and osteoarthritis.
• Gynecological and obstetrical diseases: Menopause syndrome, irregular menstruations, faintness and vertigo in the pregnancy, fetal malposition in an adequate pelvis.
What do you feel during and after treatment?
Usually a slowness sensation, sometimes a light cramp followed by a sensation of peace and relaxation. After the session, the person is apt to go home without any collateral problems.
How long does a treatment last?
This will depend on the pathology at issue, whether it is acute or chronic, and depending on the patient response to the therapy. Cycles are generally of 10 sessions.
When the effect is noticeable?
After the fifth session the effects become noticeable and start to settle down for definitive well-being. Often the changes settle almost imperceptibly, in others it is immediate, it will depend on the pathology at issue, but throughout the treatment the benefits become evident.
© CLÍNICA FIORELA , S.L. - All rights reserved